- Make a plan to stop accumulating new debt.
- Build your budget to include a plan to pay all your debt.
- Pay bills on time and in full every month to have a good credit score.
- If you need help putting together a plan to get debt free, seek help from an accredited non-profit credit counseling agency.
- Don’t fall for schemes from companies offering to help you pay only a percentage of your debt. These practices are highly predatory and deceptive.
Financial Suggestions Provided By:
Consumer Credit Counseling Service of Central Oklahoma – CCCS is a non-profit agency committed to helping people help themselves become financially strong individuals and families through counseling, debt management and education. www.cccsok.org or 405/7892227 or 800/364-2227
- FINRA Investor Education Foundation - http://www.saveandinvest.org/- Unbiased financial tools and information for military families and all investors from the FINRA Foundation.
- Better Business Bureau- http://www.bbb.org/us/article/tips-for-consumers-considering-bankruptcy-6102- Information to help you carefully evaluate your options when considering bankruptcy
- Get More Money Now- http://www.bbbmoneynow.org/- Steps you can take to put money in your pocket
- Pay Down Debt- http://paydowndebt.unl.edu/- Start down the road to reducing debt
Gazelles, baby steps and 37 other things Dave Ramsey taught me about debt by Jon Acuff
Perfect for the person who wants to laugh about money while on their journey to financial peace
The Frugalista Files: how one woman got out of debt without giving up the fabulous life by Natalie P. McNeal
A journalist chronicles her journey from debt-slave to empowered financier through her blog.
How to Debt-Proof Your Marriage by Mary Hunt
covers everything couples need for managing their money harmoniously, including how to reconcile different money behaviors and beliefs, let go of financial fears, understand the basics of practical money management, share financial work between two people, manage roller-coaster incomes, successfully live debt-free. Hunt's essential guide will help couples protect both their marriage and their money.
Master Your Debt: slash your monthly payments and become debt free by Jordan E. Goodman with Bill Westrom
Recommends strategies as it lays out a plan for achieving the elusive goal of financial success. The book is filled with helpful web sites, toll free numbers, associations and government agencies, and vetted companies and services to help you implement this advice.
Debt-Free for Life: the finish rich plan for financial independence by David Bach
The knowledge, the tools, and the mindset we need to get out of debt and achieve financial freedom