Last Updated on Tuesday, 05 November 2013 03:53
Shawnee Public Library Community Room Policy
Community organizations are encouraged to use the meeting room facilities at the Shawnee Public Library for educational, cultural, and civic purposes. No charge is made for use of the facilities, but use is subject to the following conditions:
- No products or services may be bought or sold, unless the organization is affiliated with the library.
- Priority is given to programs sponsored by the library.
- Meetings must be free and open to the public.
- Meetings may be held only during regular library hours, concluding by 8:45 p.m. or 4:45 p.m.
- Groups may reserve the library community rooms for one meeting at a time, up to six months in advance. Multiple meetings may be scheduled only at the discretion of the Branch Manager.
- Light refreshments may be served in the community rooms. However, sponsoring groups are responsible for the disposal of all food and the deposit of refuse in containers.
- Custodial staff is no longer available during business hours to set up or take down tables and chairs in the meeting rooms. Groups who use the meeting rooms are welcome to arrange the tables and chairs provided as needed for their meetings, but must put them away afterwards so that the meeting room is left clear for the next group. Failure to do so may result in the loss of meeting room privileges. It is strongly suggested that groups allow at least 15 minutes prior to and after the event starting time for setting up and taking down tables and chairs.
- Members of the organization using the room are responsible for the condition of the facilities and equipment used.
- Users are not permitted to attach items to walls, ceilings, or divider panels.
- Open flames are prohibited, including candles and tea lights.
- Alcoholic beverages are prohibited.
The Community Room may be used as a single area, seating as many as 200 persons. A heavy, sound resistant panel may also divide the Community Room into two rooms. If divided, Community Room A (north) will seat 150 persons, and Community Room B (south) will seat 50 persons. When divided, Community Room A includes access to the kitchen facilities.
When the room is reserved, certain equipment may also be reserved in advance. Library staff should be consulted regarding equipment availability. Library staff cannot be responsible for instruction or operation of equipment. There is a small kitchen with sink, microwave, refrigerator, a 30-cup coffeemaker, a built-in screen from the ceiling in Community Room A, and a piano in Community Room B.
Each calendar year, all community groups who wish to use the meeting room facilities of the Shawnee Public Library are required to complete a registration form. If the organization meets the criteria listed above, the group is eligible to request use of the library community rooms.
Each group must furnish the name and phone number of a contact person. This information is required in cases where: (1) the library needs to notify you of a change in schedule, or (2) the library receives public or media inquiries about your meeting. All requests for information about your meeting will be referred to the organization booking the meeting room.
Approved by the Shawnee Library Board
September 20, 2006